Muscle injuries can be mild or severe enough to result in lasting and significant pain. The Spine Center of Southeast Georgia offers effective treatments for muscle injury pain for men and women in Kingsland and Brunswick, GA.
What Are Muscle Injuries?
Muscle injuries such as muscle tear, muscle strain, or muscle pull refer to damage done to a muscle or its attaching tendons, most frequently as a result of undue pressure being placed on the muscles during normal activities such as heavy lifting, sports, or work.
Muscle damage can take the form of tears in part or all of the muscle fibers and the tendons the muscle is attached to. Small blood vessels may also be damaged in the process of a muscle being torn, which will most likely cause bruising, bleeding, and pain as a result of the nerve endings in the area becoming irritated.
What Are the Causes of Muscle Injuries?
The majority of tears and strains will occur suddenly and unexpectedly, either as a result of injuries or trauma. This could be a result of one or more of the following:
- Poor muscle flexibility
- Poor conditioning
- A lack of proper warm up prior to physical activity
- Fatigue and overexertion
While many believe that only rigorous workouts and high intensity exercise can cause muscle strains, this is not the case. A muscle strain can occur even from going for a simple walk. Acute strains may occur when someone might be:
- Throwing an object
- Lifting something heavy
- Lifting something from an awkward position
- Slipping and falling
Acute muscle strains are also more common in cold weather. In lower temperatures, the muscles will be much more stiff, so it’s important to take extra time when warming up in the winter months to help prevent strains.
Chronic muscle strains may occur as a result of repetitive movement. These may be brought on following instances involving:
- Sports, such as golf, baseball, tennis or rowing, for example
- Poor posture
- Spending long periods of time with the neck or back in an awkward position
What Are the Symptoms of Muscle Injuries?
Patients suffering from muscle injuries such as strains or tears will usually have felt it as it occurred. Symptoms include:
- A sudden onset of pain
- A limited range of movement
- A feeling of the muscle being “knotted up”
- Muscle Spasms
With mild strains, the torn muscle should still be flexible enough to use; however, it may feel somewhat stiff. In the event of a severe muscle strain where the muscle has been torn quite severely, you will experience very limited movement and significant pain. While more severe strains may take several months to heal and may require intervention, the symptoms of mild to moderate muscle strains should usually dissipate within a few weeks.
How Are Muscle Injuries Treated in Brunswick, GA?
The Spine Center of Southeast Georgia offers comprehensive treatment options to relieve the pain of muscle injuries and help the body heal. Depending on the nature of your injury, treatment options may include:
- Trigger Point Injections
- A trigger point injection is designed to ease muscle pain, especially pain resulting from “knots” in the muscles of the neck, lower back, and arms.
- Nerve Blocks
- A nerve block combines local anesthetic with steroids or other medications. When injected at the site of certain nerves, it can reduce inflammation and help disable pain signals from reaching the brain.
- Steroid Injections
- Cortisone steroid shots are a common treatment for muscle injuries and offer fast and significant pain relief with very little discomfort.
If you are dealing with a serious muscle injury that causes significant or long-lasting pain in Kingsland or Brunswick, the Spine Center of Southeast Georgia can help with comprehensive treatment plans. Contact us today to schedule a consultation to find out which treatment options can offer you relief.