Matthew Boothby is a Physician Assistant at The Spine Center of Southeast Georgia for the past six years. He has diverse training in pain management, having assisted in numerous neurosurgery surgical cases since 2009, as well as caring for patient’s during pre- and post-op. Matthew also has experience in orthopedic/sports medicine to non-surgically treat different pain conditions of the spine, joints, headaches, et cetera.
He received his undergraduate degree from the University of Wisconsin La Crosse, and his Physician Assistant degree from Des Moines University of Osteopathic Medicine.
Why did Matthew become a Physician Assistant? “As a child, I suffered from severe allergies and asthma. I really looked up to my primary care physician for his knowledge and compassion when caring for me in my time of need. I wanted to return the favor someday and ‘pay it forward’ in a way.”
Matthew loves seeing his patients get their lives back, which is also his favorite part of being a physician assistant.
When he’s not busy helping his patients, Matthew enjoys playing guitar, painting/sketching, cooking, traveling to foreign countries, mountain biking, camping, downhill skiing, and being the lead singer of a local Brunswick/Saint Simons Island rock cover band (Wasabi Rush).
Here are a few more fun facts about Matthew Boothby:
- He was born in Annapolis, Maryland.
- His father is a retired secret service agent; his mother is a program director for Alexia Village Retirement Community; and his brother is an urban forester for the City of Milwaukee.
- He doesn’t have any pets, except for the occasional cat that wanders into his yard!
- If he wasn’t a PA, he would either be a rock star (or involved professionally in the music industry in some way), or a chef.
- He lived in several locations including: Annapolis, MD; Naperville, IL; Port Washington, WI; La Crosse, WI; Des Moines, IA; and Saint Simons Island/Brunswick, GA.
- The most exciting place he visited was China.
- He used to be “pretty fluent” in Spanish, but now he can only speak a little.
- His favorite subjects in school were Human Anatomy, Physiology, and Biology.
- His least favorite subject in school was Chemistry.
- His nicknames: Boothby or Booth.
- If he could change something about the world, he would have the Green Bay Packers win another Super Bowl, and he would end war—which he’s pretty sure “you would have to also eliminate our desire and lust as humans for money and wealth. There is so much I would change in the world that it is hard to name just one thing, but I feel like money is the root of most evil.”
- In the past, he volunteered to offer free well child checks and high school physicals to underprivileged children. He also helped to build homes in poor neighborhoods with Habitat for Humanity. As a child, he volunteered through church and Boy Scouts. He hopes one day to have the opportunity to be a part of “Doctors Without Borders” to travel abroad and practice medicine as a volunteer.
- As far as awards, he says: “Way too many to count—had to build a separate room onto my house to fit them all!”
If you are in need of pain management care, you’ll be happy with Matthew Boothby as your physician assistant. He has a genuine compassion for his patients, caring about patient’s well-being and offering the best, quality, and highest standards of healthcare possible. He loves improving the lives of his patients, and treating each patient with equality and respect.
- University of Osteopathic Medicine & Health Sciences,
Des Moines, IA
Master of Health Science,
- University of Wisconsin
La Crosse, La Crosse, WI
Bachelor of Science,
Biology with Pre-PA emphasis
- Active Staff Member
Southeast Georgia Regional Medical Center,