Matthew R. Boothby, PA-C
Matthew Boothby is a Physician Assistant at The Spine Center of Southeast Georgia for the past 6 years. He has diverse training in pain management, having assisted in numerous neurosurgery surgical cases since 2009, as well as caring for patient’s during pre- and post-op. Matthew also has experience in orthopedic/sports medicine to non-surgically treat different pain conditions of the spine, joints, headaches, et cetera.
He received his undergraduate degree from the University of Wisconsin La Crosse, and his Physician Assistant degree from Des Moines University of Osteopathic Medicine.
Why did Matthew become a Physician Assistant? “As a child, I suffered from severe allergies and asthma. I really looked up to my primary care physician for his knowledge and compassion when caring for me in my time of need. I wanted to return the favor someday and ‘pay it forward’ in a way.”
Matthew loves seeing his patients get their lives back, which is also his favorite part of being a Physician Assistant.
When he’s not busy helping his patients, Matthew enjoys playing guitar, painting/sketching, cooking, traveling to foreign countries, mountain biking, camping, downhill skiing, and being the lead singer of a local Brunswick/Saint Simons Island rock cover band (Wasabi Rush).
Here are a few more fun facts about Matthew Boothby:
- He was born in Annapolis, Maryland.
- His father is a retired secret service agent; his mother is a program director for Alexia Village Retirement Community; and his brother is an urban forester for the City of Milwaukee.
- He doesn’t have any pets, except for the occasional cat that wanders into his yard!
- If he wasn’t a PA, he would either be a rock star (or involved professionally in the music industry in some way), or a chef.
- He lived in several locations including: Annapolis, MD; Naperville, IL; Port Washington, WI; La Crosse, WI; Des Moines, IA; and Saint Simons Island/Brunswick, GA.
- The most exciting place he visited was China.
- He used to be “pretty fluent” in Spanish, but now he could only speak a little.
- His favorite subjects in school were Human Anatomy, Physiology, and Biology.
- University of Osteopathic Medicine & Health Sciences,
Des Moines, IA
Master of Health Science,
- University of Wisconsin
La Crosse, La Crosse, WI
Bachelor of Science,
Biology with Pre-PA emphasis
- Active Staff Member
Southeast Georgia Regional Medical Center,
Matthew joined The Spine Center of Southeast Georgia in 2009 soon after receiving his master of health science degree and completing the certification requirements as a physician assistant. Hired to assist with neurosurgery, Matthew was trained by a top neurosurgeon, Dr. Mark Gold. This experience has given Matthew a keen understanding of the spinal processes allowing him the ability to identify surgical candidates and provide follow up care post-operatively.
CERTIFICATION AND LICENSOR
- Georgia Board of Medical Examiners Licensed Physician Assistant
- NCCPA Certified Physician Assistant- 8/2009