If you are struggling with lower back and leg pain from a compressed or inflamed nerve, you may benefit from lumbar steroid injections. Looking for lumbar steroid injections near me? The Spine Center of Southeast Georgia offers steroid injections for men and women in Brunswick and Kingsland, GA.
What Are Lumbar Steroid Injections?
A lumbar steroid injection is designed to relieve lower back and leg pain by treating inflamed or pinched nerve roots in the lumbar spine. This procedure can treat a wide range of pain conditions and deliver significant pain relieve that can last anywhere from days or months to years for some people.
What Do Lumbar Steroid Injections Treat?
Lumbar steroid injections may be recommended for patients who are suffering from pain as a result of conditions such as:
- Sciatica is a pain that courses along the sciatic nerve, usually caused by compression of the first sacral spinal nerve or the fifth lumbar.
- Degenerative disc disease
- This is when the intervertebral disc starts to age and break down, causing the collapse of the disc space, the growth of bone spurs, and tears in the annulus.
- Herniated disc
- A herniated disc happens when the soft interior of a spinal disc herniates out of the harder exterior wall and enters the spinal space where it compresses or inflames nearby nerves.
- Spinal stenosis
- This is a common condition in which the spinal canal and nerve root canal narrow and compress nerve roots.
- This condition refers to weakness or even fractures between upper and lower sections of a vertebra which causes the vertebra to slip forward and compress nerves.
How Are Lumbar Steroid Injections Performed?
This procedure begins with a local anesthetic of the treatment area as you lie on an x-ray table. Your physician will carefully guide a needle into the lumbar space using a fluoroscope, or real-time x-ray, to ensure accurate placement. After the needle is placed, a combination of local anesthetic and steroid medication are delivered to relieve pain and ease inflammation in the area.
How Long Do Lumbar Steroid Injections Last?
Most patients experience at least some pain relief from a steroid injection, but the effectiveness and duration varies by person. Some people who only experience mild relief may benefit from additional injections. If pain relieve is significant, repeated treatments over time can maintain the results.
Searching for epidural injections near me? Contact us at the Spine Center of Southeast Georgia for personalized care and effective treatment solutions. We proudly serve men and women in Brunswick and Kingsland, GA with lumbar steroid injections and other pain management solutions.