Chronic headaches can leave you unable to work and even perform daily tasks with pain that can range from distracting to severe. At the Spine Center of Southeast Georgia, we offer a range of effective treatment options to give men and women in Brunswick and Kingsland, GA relief from chronic headaches.
What Are the Different Types of Headaches?
Many people are surprised to learn there are more than 150 different types of headaches. The following are the most common forms of headaches.
- Tension headaches: These are the most common form of headaches. They can come and go and are usually prompted by stress. The pain can be mild to moderate with no other symptoms (like visual disturbances).
- Migraine headaches: A migraine can cause a pounding or throbbing pain and last anywhere from several hours to several days. They usually happen up to four times in a single month. During a migraine, you may often experience symptoms like sensitivity to noise, light, and smells.
- Cluster headaches: These headaches tend to be very severe. You may feel intense burning, piercing pain, or throbbing behind one eye.
- Chronic daily headaches: These last for 15+ days every month for three or more months. Some headaches may be short, but some can last for several hours.
- Sinus Headaches: A sinus headache causes a constant and deep pain around the cheekbones, the bridge of the nose, or the forehead. These headaches are caused by inflamed sinus cavities.
- Cervicogenic headaches: These are secondary headaches which are caused by an underlying condition such as a neck injury, severe high blood pressure, or an infection.
What Are the Causes of Headaches?
The pain associated with headaches comes from signals between your brain, nerves, and blood vessels. Nerves in the head muscles and blood vessels activate, sending pain signals. It’s not completely known how these signals get activated. Headaches most commonly come on as a result of illness, genetics, stress, or the environment but they may have no underlying cause.
How Are Headaches Treated in Brunswick, GA?
At the Spine Center of Southeast Georgia, we offer several treatment options to give you relief from chronic headaches. The best treatment will depend on the type of headaches you are dealing with, how frequently they occur, and the underlying cause.
The following are typical treatments we recommend for chronic headaches:
- Occipital Nerve Blocks
- An occipital nerve block can offer significant benefits in the treatment of cervicogenic headaches which begin at the base of the skull or the neck. The occipital nerves are located at the base of the skull and can produce a type of pain called occipital neuralgia, or they can serve to transmit pain signals from other nerves. An occipital nerve block works by suppressing pain signals to stop chronic headaches.
Don’t let chronic headaches damage your quality of life. The Spine Center of Southeast Georgia offers effective treatments to give you significant pain relief and help you reclaim your life. We welcome patients in Brunswick and Kingsland, GA. Contact us today to schedule an appointment to develop a personalized treatment plan.