Emmanuel Gage, MD is double board certified in pain medicine and physical medicine and rehabilitation and joined The Spine Center of Southeast Georgia in the fall of 2014. Dr. Gage received his doctorate in medicine from The University of Toledo Medical Center in 2009 after receiving his Bachelor of Science degree in biology from John Carroll University in Cleveland, Ohio. He completed a physical medicine and rehabilitation residency at The University of Toledo Medical Center in 2013, and completed an ACGME accredited lnterventional Pain Medicine fellowship at The University of Toledo Medical Center in Toledo, Ohio in 2014.
His biggest statement of credibility: “Most of all, I have treated multiple physicians, nurse practitioners, and midlevels since I started here. They requested to see me specifically, and after treating them successfully they have sent me more patients, including their family and friends. That’s the biggest compliment, and it shows that they are happy with how I’ve treated them.”
He won a few awards including:
- NANS Spinal Cord Stimulation Scholarship Winner — NANS Meeting 2013
- American Pain Society Scholarship Winner — APS Meeting 2013
- Gregory A. Nemunaitis Award — Outstanding Medical Student in PM&R
Why did Dr. Gage become a doctor? “I obviously wanted to help people. But also, I have family members with chronic pain so I have always been close to pain patients. I became a PM&R and pain doc because I love being hands-on, and being able to get results quickly for patients—not having to simply rely on medications or surgery.”
What makes Dr. Gage unique? “I have training in PM&R, which is all about helping patients become functional and return to their normal lives. I use this with my interventional pain training to determine treatment plans which can get patients back to themselves.
My patients will say that I am easy to talk to, and I am honest. I explain what is causing their issue, and also show them on spine models. I give them multiple text options, and I develop the treatment plan together with the patient. I’m a normal guy. I don’t speak down to patients.”
When he’s not busy helping his patients at The Spine Center of Southeast Georgia, he enjoys working out, weight training, golf, college football, pro football, basketball, going to the beach, Netflix and chill, movies, traveling in the United States, and trying new foods/restaurants (he considers himself a “foodie”).
Here are a few more fun facts about Dr. Gage:
- He recently traveled to Croatia, Italy, and London.
- He was born in Chicago.
- His parents are from Romania; his father is a Catholic priest. He has two younger brothers who work in business (one lives in London and the other in Chicago).
- If he wasn’t a doctor, he would be an archaeologist (his dream job) or most likely a physicist.
- His favorite superhero is Thor: “He can travel between planets, fly, and has a heavy hammer.”
- He lived in several places including: Chicago, IL; Gary, IN; Youngstown, OH; Cleveland, OH; Toledo, OH; and Columbus, OH.
- The most exciting place he visited was Dubrovnik, Croatia.
- He speaks English and fluent Romanian.
- His favorite subjects in school: Organic Chemistry and Physics.
- His least favorite subjects in school: English and Literature.
- His nickname is Manny.
- If he could change one thing about the world, he would create more peace.
- He volunteers mainly with animals, including Bark for Life and the Humane Society.
If you need a pain management doctor, Dr. Gage is passionate about seeing patients return to their former selves and do things they weren’t able to do because of their pain. He loves seeing patients so happy and thankful that they hug him! That’s what makes it worth it for Dr. Gage.
- Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- Interventional Pain Management
- Board Certified in Pain Medicine
- Board Certified in Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
PAIN CENTER AFFILIATION
- The Spine Center of Southeast Georgia – Brunswick and St. Marys
- Southeast Georgia Health System – Consultant
- Bachelor of Science – John Carroll University, Cleveland, Ohio – Biology
- Doctor of Medicine – The University of Toledo Medical Center in Toledo, Ohio
- St. Vincent’s Hospital, Toledo, Ohio – Transitional Year
- The University of Toledo Medical Center in Toledo, Ohio – ACGME Accredited Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- The University of Toledo Medical Center in Toledo, Ohio – ACGME Accredited Interventional Pain Management Fellowship