Christopher Bovinet, DO is double board certified in pain medicine and physical medicine and rehabilitation by the American Board of Medical Specialties. He has been the medical director of The Spine Center of Southeast Georgia since October 2014. He has been a physician since 2008, and has practiced in Michigan, Virginia, and Brunswick, GA; The latter at The Spine Center of SE Georgia since July 2014. Dr. Bovinet received his doctorate in osteopathic medicine from Michigan State University in East Lansing, Michigan after receiving his Bachelor of Science degree in biochemistry from Lee University in Cleveland, Tennessee. He completed a physical medicine and rehabilitation residency at Medical College of Virginia/Virginia Commonwealth University in Richmond, Virginia. Dr. Bovinet then went on to complete an interventional pain management fellowship at Virginia Commonwealth University at the oldest ACGME-accredited PM&R-based pain fellowship in the country. He had the distinct honor as serving as the chief fellow for the year.
He is an osteopathic trained physician with advanced training in neuromodulation and spinal injection and minimally-invasive spinal procedures. He also has refined palpatory skills, an ability to perform manipulations, is PM&R-trained, went to an accredited pain fellowship, and had nearly three years of training in prolotherapy, platelet-rich plasma, and adipose/stem cell injections for musculoskeletal and spine pain giving him a broad and diverse experience in treating pain from all angles.
Dr. Bovinet won several awards and honors as a doctor, including:
- Key Opinion Leader – Neuromodulation/Spinal Cord Stimulation 2016 – present
- Director-at-Large, Georgia Society of Interventional Pain Physicians 2018 – present
- Georgia Top Doctor for Interventional Pain Management – 2019
- Patient’s Choice Award – Vitals 2014, 2018.
- Compassionate Doctor Recognition Award – Vitals 2014, 2018.
- On-Time Doctor Award – Vitals 2014, 2018
- Best Grand Rounds Presentation – Evidence based spinal injections
- Honored as Chief Fellow during fellowship 2013- 2014
- Multiple Academic Excellence Awards as a resident physician.
- Honored as Chief Fellow during fellowship 2013- 2014
He was born in Huntington, Indiana and has a wonderful, supporting wife, Stacy, who is starting a vegan organic and gluten-free bread/baking company. He enjoys watches his children read, flourish in school, playing sports and seeing the personalities develop. His oldest son, Hayden, enjoys building/engineering, playing with Legos, is extremely smart, and is great at playing sports. As Dr. Bovinet says, “He tells me he is going to be a professional soccer player, get married and have 10 children someday.” His youngest son, Shoshin, enjoys soccer learning to read, and “is a little Dennis the Menace prankster and he knows it!”
Why did Dr. Bovinet become a doctor? “I’ve wanted to be a doctor since I was 8 years old. I have always enjoy helping people and have had great satisfaction from doing it. I wouldn’t want to do anything else,” says Dr. Bovinet.
His biggest statement of credibility: “most of my new patient referrals come from patients I have already taken great care talking to their friends or family or from physicians I have successfully treated for their spine conditions.”
When he’s not busy helping his patients, Dr. Bovinet enjoys golf, basketball, volleyball, kayaking, camping, being on the water (ocean, river, lake), weight-lifting/training, watching college football and basketball, traveling, spending time with his family, trying new food, cooking, hiking, and watching movies.
Here are a few more fun facts about Dr. Bovinet:
- If he wasn’t a doctor—and if he were taller—he would play NBA basketball.
- His favorite superhero is Batman, “especially in the modern movies I have always enjoyed watching. Then again, all the cool technology that Iron Man has would be awesome to have.”
- He lived in many places including: St. Simons Island, GA; Richmond, VA; Charlottesville, VA; Norfolk, VA; Cleveland, TN; East Lansing, MI; Monroe, MI; Farmington Hills, MI; and Livonia, MI.
- The most exciting place he visited: “Hiking an active volcano (Mount Pacaya in Guatemala) with his now wife, Stacy, exploring Tikal, Guatemala at Mayan Indian Ruins, or snorkeling on the Northern Reef off the coast of Belize, all were during medical mission trips to Central America.”
- His favorite subject in school: Math or sciences, especially physics and chemistry, and of course gym class was always fun: “Getting to play at school…what’s not to love?”
- His least favorite subject in school: English.
- His nicknames: “The white boy that can fly,” “Bovinuts,” “Rooster,” and “Novel.”
- If he could change one thing about the world, he would stop violence/wars.
- He volunteers on medical mission trips, coaches boys’ basketball and soccer as well as being the on-site physician at sporting events, and volunteers at running races.
- He was born in Huntington, Indiana.
- He speaks English, some French, Spanish, and Italian.
If you are looking for a pain management doctor, you’ll love how Dr. Bovinet is passionate about getting patients to feel better, taking a thorough history, reviewing imaging with the patient, getting them off of their pain pills, getting them back to work, and most importantly, getting their life back!
- Interventional Pain Management
- Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation
- Minimally Invasive Spine Specialist
- Board Certified in Pain Medicine
- Board Certified in Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation
PAIN CENTER/AMBULATORY SURGERY CENTER AFFILIATION
- The Spine Center of Southeast Georgia – Brunswick, GA
- The Brunswick Pain Treatment Center – Brunswick, GA
- Bachelor of Science in Biochemistry – Lee University – Cleveland, Tennessee
- Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine – Michigan State University – East Lansing, Michigan
- Botsford Hospital-Traditional Internship – Farmington Hills, Michigan
- Medical College of Virginia/ Virginia Commonwealth University – Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation – Richmond, Virginia
- Medical College of Virginia/ Virginia Commonwealth University Interventional Pain Management – Chief Fellow – Richmond, Virginia